News

Gibsonville eyes grant for bike plan

October 11, 2018

“A desire for better modal choices, the demand for more walkable and bikeable communities and a focus in smart growth initiatives have highlighted the need for better, more complete bicycle and pedestrian transportation systems,” the department says. DOT is offering the grant so small towns such as Gibsonville can hire consultants for as much as $50,000 to craft the plan. The state would pay 90 percent of the fee; the town would pay the remaining 10 percent. Alderman Shannon O’Toole spearheaded the effort. He hopes the plan would include providing bike lanes “at little cost to the town.” “After that, the town potentially can fund a project in the most frequently traveled areas,” he said.

READ MORE

 

Want More Stories Like This Delivered to Your Inbox? Sign Up for Emails